U2 ZooTv Hampton March 7, 1992 – my musical journey begins

MyMusicalJourneyI was not allowed to go to concerts until I graduated high school. I was almost 15 when U2 toured in support of The Joshua Tree, so I missed that tour. My musical journey on the road with U2 started in Hampton, Virginia on Saturday March 7, 1992. It was my first U2 show and the fifth of the ZooTv Tour. I was 19 years old. On the morning of March 7th, my best friend Cindy and I drove four hours south from Ellicott City, MD to Hampton, VA. Back in those days, there was no need to get to the city of a concert a day early because there was no general admission – we had actual assigned seats on the floor. We checked into our hotel and immediately walked across the street to the 1img_82891Hampton Coliseum, even though it was hours before the concert was to start. We saw a small circle of people with a big microphone hovering over them. As we got closer, we realized Bono was in the middle of that circle! I didn’t speak with him, but got close enough to take pictures and to hear what he was saying to everyone else. For my first U2 show, I was seated in the fourth row in front of The Edge. Bruce Hornsby and Phil Joanou walked in from behind the stage and passed by us on their way to the soundboard. The Pixies opened, and I did not like them at all. But then again, I just wanted to hear U2. I had waited five years since the release of The Joshua Tree to see them in concert! Three days later I drove two hours up to Philadelphia for my second U2 show. That time I hid in the bathroom when the Pixies played.

The set list from my first U2 show on March 7, 1992 in Hampton, VA was as follows: Zoo Station, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, One, Until the End of the World, Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Angel of Harlem, Satellite of Love, Bad/All I Want is You, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets Have No Name, Pride, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, Desire, Ultra Violet, With or Without You. (For only time on the ZooTv Tour, The Fly is played after Even Better Than the Real Thing and Mysterious Ways, rather than before.)

01 Intro

02 Zoo Station

03 Even Better Than the Real Thing

04 Mysterious Ways

05 The Fly

06 One

07 Until the End of the World

08 Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

09 Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World

10 Angel of Harlem

11 Satellite of Love

12 Bad

13 Bullet the Blue Sky

14 Running to Stand Still

15 Where the Streets Have no Name

16 Pride (In the Name of Love)

17 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

18 Desire

19 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

20 With or Without You

The following two tabs change content below.
I have finally found what I am looking for - all because of U2. I am writing my U2 memoir called "On the Road with U2: my musical journey." It is about the 75 U2 shows I've been to since ZooTv, including my three-month road trip during the last leg of the 360 Tour where I drove to every US concert. More than just the concerts, it is about the places I've been, the people I've met, and my quest to meet Larry.

Leave a Reply